Indianapolis remains the host of the NFL Scouting Combine set for February 2022.
NFL executive vice president Troy Vincent said Tuesday the league is leaving open the option of moving the event in 2023, with Dallas and Los Angeles in the running along with a potential return to Indianapolis.
Vincent said the event, which was restricted last year due to COVID-19 protocols, would be as close to “back to normal” as possible, including potential fan attendance.
Due to restrictions on large gatherings, players did not arrive en masse in February. Meetings with teams and scouts were held via video conference and the popular on-field workouts, including the 40-yard dash, were limited to campus pro days.
All of those modifications are expected to be erased for the 2022 event, which is also likely to permit media interviews and press conferences with the 300-plus prospects in attendance.
Los Angeles was pegged as a potential destination for the combine due to the NFL Media and events space constructed near SoFi Stadium.
Dallas became an option with the practice facility addition known as The Star.
Held in Indianapolis since 1987, the combine location was opened for bidding by the NFL starting in 2023 through at least 2028.
The process follows the model of the nomadic NFL draft. The draft has been held in Chicago, Philadelphia, Dallas, Nashville and Cleveland since the league shifted away from hosting the event in New York after 2014.