External review into Maryland OL McNair’s death due on Sept. 15

An outside consultant’s review of the death of Maryland offensive lineman Jordan McNair is expected to be delivered on Sept. 15, according to ESPN.

Dr. Rod Walters, a sports medicine consultant and longtime athletic trainer with stints at Appalachian State and South Carolina, is conducting the review, which began in late June.

McNair, who was 19, died two weeks after being hospitalized May 29 following an organized team workout. An exact cause of death was not disclosed, but a GoFundMe page set up to support McNair’s disclosed that he received a liver transplant after being airlifted to the R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore and had been “fighting for his life.”

McNair’s parents said heatstroke caused their son’s death.

The “Who We Are” section of the Jordan McNair Foundation’s website now reads: “The Jordan McNair Foundation was established in June 2018 by Tonya Wilson & Martin ‘Marty’ McNair following the death of their beloved son Jordan Martin McNair, an offensive lineman for the University of Maryland. Jordan’s untimely death was the result of a heatstroke he suffered during an organized offseason team workout.”

The external review must not cost more than $24,000 and will “focus on preparation for competition, competition, and post-competition care that the student-athlete experiences, benchmarked against federal and state laws and industry best practices,” according to ESPN’s reporting of the contract, which it received through a Freedom of Information Act request.

Maryland also turned over information about its athletic training staff, strength and conditioning staff, and any consulting physicians associated with the team.

“The prudent thing to do and the right thing to do when a situation like this arises is to do a review to make sure that the proper protocols were followed,” athletic director Damon Evans said in announcing the review. “We believe it’s important to bring in an external group to conduct the review. We started that process of discussing from the moment Jordan was hospitalized, and we will have a team that will provide us the necessary feedback so we can move forward.”

Evans detailed much of what took place at the May 29 workout, which he said began around 4:15 p.m. with the temperature near 80 degrees at the Terrapins’ practice fields, with the strength and conditioning staff and trainers on hand.

According to Evans, the workout had all players run 10 110-yard sprints and McNair — listed at 6-foot-4, 325 pounds — completed all of them before struggling to recover afterward, leading trainers to come to his attention.

“Right now I don’t have the specific details as to what time that took place but what I do know is that they were immediately over to him,” Evans said.

Evans added that a cart took McNair to the training room for further care and 911 was called, before McNair was taken to the hospital around 6 p.m. All players were given a gallon of water in the morning, with snacks, Gatorade and lunch during the day, Evans said.

No further details were provided about McNair’s health after the workout, including his condition or cause of death, due to the McNair family’s requests for privacy at the time.